It has been observed with great pains that the beaurocracy and media are spreading rumors and misinformation about demands of OROP by Veterans. The Hon’ble Finance Minister has made such an irresponsible statement that Veterans are demanding “ a pension system which is required to be changed every month or year”. His statement is not only far from truth but extremely painful as coming from the Hon’ble Finance Minister of the country
That facts are as under:-
- Veterans are only demanded OROP as approved by two parliaments of the Republic and as presented in two successive annual budgets of the country.
- The so called 3% change or equalization as stated by media every year is completely misrepresentating the reality of demand. In order to equalize the pension of earlier pay commissions and within the same currency of the pay commission an up gradation/ equalization of pension is required to be made to make it equal pension ot same rank with same length of service which is termed as OROP. This would be applicable to only those personnel who are effected and not to the entire population of the pensioners. This is illustrated by the following example:-
There would, however, be an annual review in OROP tables. This is to remove one or more of the following anomalies: –
- If C retires in a certain rank with 20 years service on 30 June of that year will draw less than D who retires with 20 years of service on 31st July of the same year because D gets the benefit of 3% increment on 1st July.
- Bunching effect of 4 years in 4th CPC, 3 years in 5th CPC and 2 years in 6th CPC
- Implementation of AVSC Phase I w.e.f 16th December 2004. It has resulted in officers being promoted to say Select rank of Lt Col in the 18th year but those after 16th December 2004 being promoted in the 14th year.
- Perusal of the modified/enhanced parity tables [Circulars 500 and 501 on PCDA (P) website] indicate a pension of Rs 7065 for a Sepoy in the 20 to 27 years service bracket and increased to Rs 7175 if the Sepoy served 27.5 years or more. Similar cap will occur for all personnel within a time frame of 5 years. Therefore, alarm bells rung by vitiated persons are based on lack of information or mala-fide misunderstanding of the issue of OROP
- It is also added that expenditure on this equalization has also been worked out and it is estimated to be 0.85% of the implementation cost or a total of less than three hundred crores for five financial years.
3.`Finally it appears to veterans that Govt is delaying or denying the OROP based on misinformation or the misinterpretation by the vested interest and beaurocracy.
Brig Kartar Singh
United Front of Ex-Servicemen