Letter No.IESL/OROP/2016 dt 14 Sep 2016 address to Shri Narendra Modi Ji, Hon’ble Prime Minster of India :-
Shri Narendra Modi Ji
Hon’ble Prime Minister of India
PMO South Block New Delhi
FIXATION OF PENSION OF DEFENCE PENSIONERS POST 7TH CPC
- I am approaching you on behalf of all the Ex-Servicemen (ESM) for an issue which is of utmost importance and affects the population which is most dearest to you.
- Let me at the outset, convey my sincere thanks to you Sir, for grant of OROP to the Defence Forces and thus giving them redress for the injustice done to them for over 40 years. There are a few issues which are still left, and I am sure the One Man Judicial Commission (OMJC) appointed by the Govt will resolve these also.
- As for the fixation of pension for Defence Veterans, it is learnt that the view for transition of Pensioners (Post OROP) in the Govt is that the Pension as on 01 Jan 2006 (duly corrected to Sept 2012 less OROP) will be multiplied by the factor of 2.57 (as recommended by 7th CPC) to arrive at the pension of Defence Personnel post 7th CPC. This will result in a major anomaly as it will be less than the pension post OROP and will amount to no benefit to most of the ESM. This is not fair as the benefit of OROP, given by your Govt as a major benefit will not be passed on to the Veterans.
- The Veterans look upto you and the leadership of your Govt to intervene and ensure that the benefit of OROP are also passed on to the ESM post 7th CPC award. This implies that pension post OROP be multiplied by the factor of 2.57 to arrive at the new pension in 7th CPC.
- Since presently, the equalization is to take place in OROP implementation, after five years, the next equalization may thereafter take place on 01 Jan 2021 (i.e. after five years of implementation of 7th CPC). This will resolve the issue for ever as the CPC dates (after 10 Years) shall always coincide with the OROP implementation date in future. This will go a long way to assuage the feelings of all the veterans.
- Sir, this is a very serious issue which is a cause of serious concern for all the ESM, as presently the feeling and perception is that they are not getting the benefit of 7th CPC award. This perception needs to be corrected, for which all the Veterans look upto their most revered Prime Minister for resolution and justice. The intention of 7th CPC was also the same as can be seen from the illustration given at Paras 10.2.89 and 10.2.90 of the 7th CPC Report. The OROP is an additional benefit given to the Defence Veterans to redress the injustice done in 1973 and therefore, must be passed on alongwith 7th CPC Award. I am more than confident that you will give your valued consideration to this important issue and ensure that the OROP pension is multiplied by the accepted factor of 2.57 in case of ESM, till such time the Committee of Secretaries headed by Finance Secretary gives its recommendations for implementing the incremental method of fixation of pension as recommended by 7th CPC.
- May I request the Hon’ble Prime Minister for a confirmation/announcement for the above? This will set at rest the rising speculations and consternation amongst the Veterans.
Lt Gen (Dr) Balbir Singh, PVSM, VSM**
President Indian Ex-Services League
Shri Manohar Parrikar Ji- For perusal please.
Hon’ble Raksha Mantri
Govt of India
Gen (Dr) VK Singh, PVSM, UYSM, AVSM- For perusal please.
Hon’ble Minister of State
External Affairs Ministery
Govt of India
South Block, New Delhi